This is a challenge designed to introduce you to some of the world-class companies that have chosen Southern Oregon as their home. It will have two parts; the first will be an individual scavenger hunt that will lead you into short stories about these companies called “Southern Oregon Edge” profiles which can be found by clicking Southern Oregon Edge Profiles here.
Once you are logged in and the game begins, you will receive a set of questions, consisting of an initial clue, designed to lead you to a specific profile, followed by three follow-up questions from that profile. Sometimes the clues or questions may require you to think outside the box…remember, this is a scavenger hunt, so stay flexible and be a detective! Once you correctly complete a set you will receive another, until you complete a total of 15. Sets are assigned randomly and will be unique to you.
Next, students will be formed into teams for the second phase of the quest, which will be a video challenge. Teams will be assigned a company, along with a “Big Idea” about the company, and asked to create a one minute video addressing the question, “What is truly unique about this company that most people don’t know?” Once completed, videos that meet the requirements and are approved, will be posted on our SOREDI Quest Facebook page (the deadline for video submission is Friday, March 22). The top three videos receiving the most views will earn scholarships for each of the team members; $500 each for first place, $400 each for second place, and $250 each for third place. Our ten “Holy Grail” sponsors will also select their top picks and those team members will each receive a $100 Amazon gift card (must attend the Finale to win).
We will invite the winning teams, their parents and teachers to a gala Finale event on Friday, April 19, at North Medford High. Company representatives will be present to meet with students and adults, videos will be shown and prizes awarded. And the audience will also vote “live” for one of the ten selected videos as their “People’s Choice Award”, with team members receiving an additional $300 scholarship!
If you are a student, please log in here, and begin SOREDI Quest!
GETTING YOUR GAME ON
Here are some helpful tips for playing SOREDI Quest:
• The stories about our local companies are called “Southern Oregon Edge” profiles. They can be found through the link above. They are posted with the company name and a short introduction. When you are given a clue to find a company, scanning the names may help you to recognize the answer to your clue. To answer the follow-up questions you will have to open the profile and read it all.
• Questions that require you to write an answer are sensitive to spelling and capitalization. You can copy & paste from the profile, but incorrect spelling and/or incorrect use of capital letters will cause you to receive an incorrect answer. Proper names (such as Crater Lake, John Doe, Chief Executive Officer, National Football League, etc.) and acronyms (such as NASA, NASCAR, NFL, etc.) should be capitalized.
• Sometimes you will encounter questions from a profile that cannot be answered directly from the text. In that case you will have to do some internet research to determine the answer. In those cases you will be prompted to “be a detective”.
When you are assigned to a team by your teacher you will be given your team’s video challenge. It will consist of a specific company and a “Big Idea” about that company (you can also reference their Edge profile). Your goal as a team is to create a video that meets the following requirements and attempts to answer the question, “What is truly unique about this company that most people don’t know?” Remember, scholarships will be awarded based on page views, so create an informative video that is interesting, inspiring and fun to watch…one that will motivate others to share it. Here are the additional requirements:
• You must turn in a release form, signed by your parents, in order to compete (Click Here)
• Videos cannot be longer than I minute
• Videos cannot contain personal names of students, teachers, or others
• Your video MUST be on the subject company assigned to you
• No company logos can be used
• You must include an opening close-up of our disclaimer page for 4 seconds (Click Here)
• The deadline for submitting videos is Friday, March 22, 2019
We also have a secret agenda (not so secret!) It's our hope that our region's talented young people (YOU) will grow in the understanding that you don't have to move away to find a challenging and rewarding career. Whether your interests lie in technology, product development, healthcare, design, engineering or aviation - we have it all right here! We are also hoping that your parents and others in the community might notice the same thing. Since few of these companies have a retail presence, many of them go unnoticed in the more industrial areas of our region. You might not even know they are here, bustling away every day, shipping products out and dollars into our Jackson and Josephine Counties...so we decided to make them the stars of our show! Thanks for playing and we wish you the best as you embark on SOREDI Quest!